Most of the recipes I post on here are links to other blogs/sites but this recipe is one I have come up with all by myself. I have to admit even I was a bit surprised at how easy this was and how good it tasted. I LOVE chicken Kievs, to me they are a form of comfort food. We used to eat them when I was a child at both my parents and grandparents house. But the shop bought ones are massively over processed and not particularly healthy. So I decided to come up with my own clean version.
This recipe serves 2 but is easily scalable.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- Ground almonds
- 30g butter
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Soften your butter in a bowl or jug (I put the butter in the microwave for 10 seconds but be careful, do not let it turn to liquid!)
- Add the garlic and herbs to the butter and mix. Set the garlic butter aside in the fridge.
- Slit your chicken breasts, I found slitting them in the top to make a fairly deep pocket worked best but be careful not to go through!
- Divide the garlic butter equally between the 2 chicken breasts, push the mixture well down in the pocket you made and then seal the chicken breast back up using cocktail sticks
- Whisk the egg with some salt and pepper and place in a shallow dish
- Place the ground almonds in a 2nd shallow dish.
- Roll the chicken breasts in the egg so they are totally coated
- Roll the chicken breasts in the ground almonds so they are totally coated
- Place the chicken breasts on a metal baking tray and cover with some parchment paper
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Remove the paper and cook for a further 25 mins (adjust the timings depending on the thickness of the chicken!)
- When you serve, don’t forget to remove the cocktail sticks!