At 34 weeks pregnant with ridiculous back ache, pelvic pain etc and the outside temperature sitting at around 30 degrees, cooking meals is becoming a bit of a chore. Tonight my husband has gone out for the evening. So I am well chuffed with myself that I have cooked something from scratch and not resorted to a take away and even better it is my own recipe!
This recipe serves 1 but could easily be scaled up.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp of white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Wrap the chicken in some cling film and smash the chicken breast with a rolling pin until the chicken is flat but double the size
- Whisk together the honey, mustard, vinegar, oil and seasoning
- Remove the cling film & place the chicken in a glass dish and cover in the marinade, move the chicken breast around and make sure it is completely coated
- Leave the chicken & marinade in the glass dish, cover in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Remove the glass dish from the fridge 20 mins before you wish to cook to bring it up to room temp
- Oil a griddle plan and heat it up till it is hot.
- Grill the chicken 2 minutes each side and then another 3 minutes each side, adding more marinade each time your turn it (Total cooking time is about 10 mins, but judge it based on how thick your chicken is.) – BE WARNED THE HONEY WILL SMOKE, A LOT! SO OPEN YOUR WINDOWS AND HAVE YOUR EXTRACTOR ON!
I served this dish with roasted new potatoes (you could use sweet if you are wanting to be really clean!), roasted carrots & parsnips, leeks and peas.
It would work equally well with a crunchy, fresh salad!