This is a variation on the classic Cottage Pie. It is more tomato than gravy based but if you make it this way it is clean 🙂
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large parsnips
- 1/2 a small swede
- 500g lean minced beef
- 400g can of organic tomatoes (Use fresh if you can be bothered to deseed and chop!)
- 400g can of baked beans (or you could add pinto beans, don’t forget to soak them first!)
- 1 & 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 & 1/2 cups frozen sweetcorn
- 200ml of red wine (optional)
- fresh herbs (I used basil)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat your over to 180 degrees C (Fan assisted)
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic. Gently fry them in a small amount of olive oil until very soft.
- Chop the carrots, parsnips & swede. Add them to the onion and garlic and gently fry for 5 minutes
- Add the minced beef to the vegetables and cook until brown
- Add the tomatoes (and baked beans/pinto beans if you are using them). Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the frozen peas & frozen sweetcorn.
- Add your fresh herbs & wine.
- Simmer until all the vegetables are soft and the liquid has reduced (20 – 25 mins, longer if you’ve used pinto beans – follow the instructions for your beans)
- Place the meat and vegetables in to a shallow glass/ceramic dish
- Add slices of sweet potato to the top of your meat and vegetables
- Place in the oven and cook till your sweet potatoes are cooked. (about 15 mins). You may want to cover with tinfoil and then remove the tinfoil for the last 5 mins so that the sweet potatoes don’t burn.