This is a recipe that was given to me by a colleague and I have tweaked! Super easy, super yummy and freezes and reheats well.
You can make this on the hob or in the slow cooker. I’ll write the instructions for the slow cooker but message me if you want the hob version!
- 1lb chopped chicken
- 1 large onion (white/yellow works best)
- 1 large red pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- either 12 fresh tomatoes or 1 400g can/pack of organic chopped tomatoes (either work well)
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or a whole fresh chilli (with the seeds if you like it hot!)
- 2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Turn on your slow cooker to high
- Add your chicken
- Chop your garlic, onion and pepper and add these to your slow cooker
- Chop and deseed your tomatoes and add these to your slow cooker (or add your ready chopped ones including the juice!)
- Add all the spices
- Add water to cover (if you used fresh tomatoes you will need more water, but judge it with your eye)
- Give a stir
- Cook on high for 2 hours
- Turn to low and cook for at least a further 3 hours (but can stay on longer until you need it!)
- Serve and garnish with the fresh coriander.